As a writer, I often need to type the degree symbol on my Mac. It’s a common symbol used in temperature readings, angles, and scientific notations. However, finding it on the keyboard can be a challenge, especially if you’re not familiar with keyboard shortcuts. In this article, I will show you how to easily type the degree symbol on Mac, using various methods.
How to Type the Degree Symbol on Mac
There are several ways to type the degree symbol on Mac. Here are some of the most common methods:
Method 1: Using the Keyboard Shortcut
The quickest way to type the degree symbol on Mac is by using the keyboard shortcut. Here’s how to do it:
- Place your cursor where you want to insert the degree symbol.
- Hold down the “Shift” and “Option” keys.
- While holding down these keys, type the number “8” on your keyboard.
This should produce the degree symbol (°) on your screen. You can then release the keys and continue typing.
Method 2: Using the Character Viewer
If you’re having trouble remembering the keyboard shortcut, or if your keyboard doesn’t have a numeric keypad, you can use the Character Viewer. Here’s how to access it:
- Click on the “Edit” menu in any application that supports text input (such as Pages or TextEdit).
- Select “Special Characters” from the drop-down menu.
- In the Character Viewer, type “degree” in the search field.
- Double-click on the degree symbol to insert it into your document.
Method 3: Copying and Pasting
Another way to insert the degree symbol on Mac is by copying and pasting it from another source. Here’s how to do it:
- Find the degree symbol on a website or document.
- Highlight the symbol with your cursor.
- Press “Command” + “C” to copy the symbol.
- Place your cursor where you want to insert the symbol.
- Press “Command” + “V” to paste the symbol into your document.
Frequently Asked Questions about Typing the Degree Symbol on Mac
Q: Why can’t I find the degree symbol on my keyboard?
A: The degree symbol is not a standard key on most keyboards. You can use the keyboard shortcut or the Character Viewer to insert it into your document.
Q: How do I type the degree symbol on a MacBook Pro?
A: The keyboard shortcut and Character Viewer methods described in this article should work on all Macs, including the MacBook Pro.
Q: Can I customize the keyboard shortcut for the degree symbol?
A: Yes, you can customize keyboard shortcuts for many symbols and characters on your Mac. To do this, go to “System Preferences” > “Keyboard” > “Shortcuts” > “App Shortcuts” and click the “+” button to add a new shortcut.
Tips for Mastering the Keyboard on Mac
- Learn common keyboard shortcuts to save time and increase productivity.
- Use the built-in keyboard viewer to see all the keyboard shortcuts available on your Mac.
- Practice typing regularly to improve your speed and accuracy.
- Consider investing in an external keyboard with a numeric keypad if you frequently need to type special characters.
Typing the degree symbol on Mac may seem tricky at first, but with these methods, you can easily insert it into your documents. Remember to practice typing regularly and explore other keyboard shortcuts to become a master of your Mac keyboard.